1,001 Novels: A Library of America
True Grit (1968)
by Charles Portis
Yell County, Arkansas
Arkansas: 1/8
Arkansas has to be one of the least literary of the United States of America. True Grit is the only title out of the eight from this state I'd ever heard of before the 1,001 Novels project. I listened to an Audiobook edition narrated by Donna Tartt, of all people. As she explains in the afterword, True Grit is one of her favorite books, so she leapt at the chance to be the voice of Mattie Ross, the diminutive narrator and protagonist of the revenge tale best known for the movie version with John Wayne as US Marshall Rooster Cogburn. Tartt wrote an interesting afterword where she speculates on why such a classic novel (I agree) is hardly read anymore- she places the blame at the feet of the John Wayne starring movie (there was a more recent version with Jeff Bridges and Hailee Steinfeld as Mattie Ross) for being a successful dumbing-down of the plot of the book.
True Grit was a real discovery for me- I raced through the Audiobook. I thought Mattie Ross was a delightful character, and Donna Tartt fairly amazed me with her voicing of the text. Surely the best novel from Arkansas in the 1,001 Novels project.
Instagram
No comments:
Post a Comment