Dedicated to classics and hits.

Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Filth Eaters (2026) by Ito Romo

 Book Review
Filth Eaters (2026)
by Ito Romo

  I've been getting more book recommendations from social media recently.  I found out about Filth Eaters from the Instagram account of the publisher; Deep Vellum Press out of Texas.  The social media post promised a vampire yard with an Aztec twist, which sounds great to me.  I'm interested in any work of fiction that takes a stab at pre-Columbian characters, a group largely absent from historical fiction as a genre.  This slim volume flips back and forth between a dystopian near-present where a vampire scion uses drones to post his kills to an adoring.world-wide audience in a flooded New York and the post-conquest Mexico where an old world, Spanish vampire emigrates to the new world and meets his new world counterparts, who have survived the fall of their Aztec partners and arrival of the Vampire-hating Spanish, but only barely.  Like many Vampire narrative, both the plot and the characters suffer from ennui.  The life of a vampire, super powerful but limited in their range of activity, seems exhausting, so it is no wonder vampire characters are so often exhausted. 

 I enjoyed the scenes set in the past, but the dystopian New York material felt uninspired.

No comments:

Blog Archive