Dedicated to classics and hits.

Monday, March 18, 2024

The Blackboard Jungle (1954) by Evan Hunter

1,001 Novels: A Library of America
The Blackboard Jungle (1954)
by Evan Hunter
New York: 35/105
The Bronx: 6/7

    Quite frequently I check out one of these 1,001 Novels: A Library of American books as an Audiobook for a library and find the experience simply excruciating.  I really learn about my own prejudices based on my positive/negative reactions- as clear an example of the "unconscious bias" phenomenon in my own life.  One of my most disturbing discoveries is that I have issues appreciating narrator voices that mimic the tones of the American underclass- of whatever ethnicity- I just find those voices grating and unpleasant, whether they be male or female, white, black, hispanic etc- a disturbing discovery and something that I am trying to address.  

   This book wasn't in that category, but it was in this category of American fiction from the earlier half of the 20th century that also gives me issues for different reasons.  

No comments:

Blog Archive