Dedicated to classics and hits.

Thursday, October 05, 2023

The Vaster Wilds (2023) by Lauren Groff

 Book Review
The Vaster Wilds (2023)
by Lauren Groff

     I'm a big fan of American author Lauren Groff.  The first book I read by her was her short story collection, Florida (2018)-  I thought it was very interesting, particularly the texture she gave to the environment of Florida itself- which- you don't see portrayed much in literary fiction.  Most of the Florida books I've read have been detective fiction- namely Elmore Leonard's Florida era.  After Florida I went back and read Fates and Furies (2015)- which was nominated for the National Book Award.  I didn't love Fates and Furies, but it is impossible to argue with a National Book Award nomination.  I read Matrix- her very cool novel about life in a medieval Nunnery in England when it was released in 2021 and loved it.   I actually bought the hardback edition.  For The Vaster Wilds I checked out the Audiobook because the description, "girl escapes foundering American colony in the New World to fend for herself in pre-lapsarian North America"; sounded like a good Audiobook listen.

    Readers, I am here to say that The Vaster Wilds is a bit of a dud. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the listening experience, but Groff's minimalist attention to plot left me wanting more and less at the same time.  One of the issues here is that if you strand a pubescent, uneducated 17th century servant girl in the wilderness she isn't going to have many memories to reflect upon over the course of the book.  Groff keeps her isolated from the Native Americans, which cuts off another plausible path for narrative development.

   The narrator's flashbacks (she is unnamed in the book) to life in England don't feel revelatory or even particularly nuanced- life for a foundling servant child in 17th century London wasn't fun, we all know that and aside from the odd rape she seemed to have emerged from that portion of her experience with fewer scars than many other characters from the era.  We glimpse some true horror when the flashbacks take her through her life in the Virginia colony before her escape at the beginning of the books- some of the details there reminded me of the some of the grimmest moments of The Road, by Cormac McCarthy.  Overall, her survival narrative is almost frighteningly dull- she escapes the colony, travels far enough to evade capture and then settles down for a decade.  Basically Groff gets her settled then presses fast forward to the end. 

  It make for an excellent Audiobook since it's a single voice adventure story- I enjoyed the experience, just didn't think it was Lauren Groff's best work.  Certainly a let down after the subtly nuanced Nuns of Matrix. 

No comments:

Blog Archive