Dedicated to classics and hits.

Thursday, March 23, 2023

BILLIONS CLUB: Coldplay (6/381)


BILLIONS CLUB 
Coldplay (6/381)
100/381 = 26%

    Coldplay has six on the board and a seventh (My Universe w/ BTS) on the cusp.  While I wouldn't call myself a fan per se I am surely not a hater of Coldplay and I've listened to The Scientist, Viva La Vida and A Sky Full of Stars, three of their songs on this list, ad nauseum over the years.  In fact, if I close my eyes I can picture a time when Coldplay wasn't a top 50 in the world type band.  This was back when they started and one could plausibly mention Coldplay and a band like Travis in the same breath without eliciting mockery.   Similar to Ed Sheeran, I picture Coldplay as being the absolute favorite of audience members who listen to a relatively few number of artists.  The bottom step of the audience pyramid- the biggest, widest, tallest step stuffed with people who say things like "I don't really listen to music."  Or "I just like the stuff I hear on the radio."   I imagine that their superfans emerge from this audience and maintain their other characteristics i.e. not listening to many other artists even as they become the type of Coldplay fans willing to pay hundreds for a concert ticket to watch... Coldplay. 

No comments:

Blog Archive