Dedicated to classics and hits.

Monday, November 08, 2021

Event Preview: Cathedral Presents Mvtant, Mannequin and More!

 


Event Preview
Cathedral Presents
Mvtant (San Antonio, Texas)
Mannequin (San Diego)

Bricks Rock Bar 
3626 Fruitland Ave.
Maywood CA. 
Venmo: CathedralLA Code: 2465: Put Note: Mvtant
Limited advance tickets $10, Day of $20

     One of the long term things I've learned writing this blog is that nobody was interested in local music adventures, or at least in mine.  People were interested in local music gossip, to be sure, but publicizing local shows and bands is a gig best left to either professionals or no one.   Then, as I actually managed to put out a record by an artist that obtained national/international attention, interest actually dropped, and there was no long terms interest.  Vs. there very much is continued interest in book review I wrote about 18th century novels six years ok. 

    But I never really stopped being involved with putting out new music, I just stopped writing about it.  The other thing that happened is my partner works in the "real" music industry, and for the past several years almost all the shows have been at her invitation, as the guest of her companies' artists or the promoter.  It's hard to be honest and impossible to be funny or mean, which, frankly are the three joys of writing about music besides shining a light on unknown artists.

   Of course, like everyone, the past two years have been cause for much re-evaluation regarding those and other positions, and I can safely say that I miss local shows, even at the lowest levels, which is where someone like me is ALWAYS going to begin with artists, because any artist who isn't at that level would not contemplate putting out a record on a label I control.

   Mario Orduno started his label Dream Recordings a decade ago, and a couple years ago he invited me to be a partner.  We put out this Mvtant record- Gore + Mirrorshade- which was originally issued on an Austin area tape label, on digital and vinyl.  The record came out smack dab in the middle of the pandemic, making it impossible for Mvtant to tour, which was frustrating, but par to course for Dream, which hasn't made any kind of a national impact and only a limited local impact, entirely through the efforts of Mario.   It's clearly part of the dark wave underground- whatever you want to call it.

  Several of Dream's artists are playing the Substance 2021 Festival: O/X, Some Ember and Spike Hellis, a band we were supposed to put out but had to rethink during the pandemic.   I'm sure Dirty Beaches would be playing Substance if Alex was still around doing stuff under that name (he is not.)
I love the looks of this DIY show called Cathedral, where I'll have my first chance to actually see Mvtant live. 


No comments:

Blog Archive