Dedicated to classics and hits.

Friday, October 01, 2021

New Teeth (2021) by Simon Rich


Book Review
New Teeth (2021)
by Simon Rich

    I actually thought Simon Rich was English, maybe because the narrator of the New Teeth, Rich's new collection of short-stores, has an English accent.  Turns out he's not, but rather an enfant terrible of American comedy, with "youngest writer ever on SNL" and "son of New York Times columnist and writer Frank Rich" prominently featured on his Wikipedia page.   Anyway, credit where credit is due, New Teeth made me laugh, repeatedly even though you would think some of the themes (a baby detective investigating the disappearance of his younger sister's toy, A half man-half ape city-rescuing superhero asked to work a desk job in the city bureaucracy) sound too much like other contemporary culture products to be interesting.   Fact is, I loved the story about the baby detective and I loved the story about the half-man, half-ape superhero reckoning with his obsolescence(Clobbo.) 

   And so, even though I try to avoid books of short-stories by American Humorists if at all possible, I liked this book of short stories by this American humorist.   I highly recommend the Audiobook, which was a great format for this book.

No comments:

Blog Archive