Dedicated to classics and hits.

Monday, February 19, 2024

Event Preview: Angie McMahon @ The Troubadour 3/15

 Event Preview
Angie McMahon @
The Troubadour 3/15

 This show is sold out but there are tickets available on secondary sites.  Angie McMahon is my partner Amy's newest client.  Angie impressed me from the start because she was the one who reached out to Amy, which really shows you something because I don't think anyone has ever written a thing about Amy and what an amazing manager she is.  It's fair to say that only recently have people begun to appreciate her, and obviously I'm biased, but she's already had quite a career and she isn't half done.  

  Angie is from Australia, and she found Amy because she wants to be global.  The thing I've noticed about Angie is that she creates the kind of relationship with her listeners that most artists only hope to create, and many never create at all.  I've already witnessed her do that, and not just with teenage girls but with grown ass adult men and women, including many who actually work in the entertainment industry and are therefore the hardest audience.  Angie only has one record on her current deal, and my sense is that her next record is either going to be on a major label or that she will turn down that opportunity. 

   But I'm now into my second decade of observing artists trying to go from "moderate indie acclaim" to a genuine world wide phenomenon, and ultimately, the sticking point seems to be generating that kind of relationship with the Audience.  Not just impressing the media and record labels- but honestly connecting with people- all kinds of people.  And Angie does that unlike any other artist I've observed closely over the  past 20 years.

  She's got all the pieces in place- Amy, a great booking agent and fantastic PR, her shows are selling out on three continents, she's got invited to play Fuji Rock-which is not particularly easy to do and she's a genuine talent.  I mean, her voice.  If you haven't checked out the new record, you should, and if you can afford secondary market tickets I'd advise you to get to the Troubadour because she won't be playing such a small venue again- just- you know- based on the number of tickets she's sold- next it will be a bigger venue and there will be a next time even though flying a band over from Australia is expensive AF.

No comments:

Blog Archive