Dedicated to classics and hits.

Sunday, March 26, 2017

reasons to live (1985) by Amy Hempel


Book Review
reasons to live (1985)
 by Amy Hempel

  Amy Hempel is a literary minimalist, or you might say a miniaturist, her books of short "stories" has several episodes that are under a page in length, and I don't think any of them have more than a dozen pages tops.   Her "stories" chronicle the dissipated Los Angeles area coastal lifestyle in the late 1970's and early 1980's.   She is often compared to Raymond Carver (who I always confuse with Raymond Chandler ha ha), in terms of the quietness of the lives she depicts.
 
   Once again, I found myself in total ignorance of an author who chronicles the very area I call home.  Where has Amy Hempel been hiding my entire life? Why have I never seen or heard of anyone else reading her books?  Why have I never seen an article in a newspaper or online about her?  

No comments:

Blog Archive