Dedicated to classics and hits.

Thursday, August 13, 2015

Event Preview: Echo Park Rising 2015

Event Preview:
Echo Park Rising 2015
this Friday, Saturday, Sunday.

  I am now a card (library) carrying resident of Echo Park, and this will be my first Echo Park Rising as a resident.  I am a big booster of the Echo Park area.  The socio-economic diversity is something that I require.  I could have been living in the suburbs for over a decade at this point but I feel like that is nothing but a slow death.  When I saw I like socio economic diversity, that extends to features that other folks dislike: the homeless, gang activity, dirty streets.  On a weekly basis I commute from my house in Echo Park (rented) to my auxiliary law office in Beverly Hills, and I can hardly stand Beverly Hills because it's so, "Nice."

Echo Park Rising is developing into a decent size event- the Eastsider Blog says 10,000 are expected and the temperature is supposedly going to reach the 90s, so here are some tips:


The multi block lot that runs behind Sunset is the only lot type parking in the area- it will likely fill up first, so unless the plan is to get to the festival hell of early don't count on it.  Most street parking around Sunset is metered.  Parking is available in the neighborhood but beware of the Dodger game traffic coming and going.  You are going to want to avoid taking Glendale Avenue south or arriving from East and West on Sunset.

If you are an Uber/Lyft  type I would go with that- but make sure you put some thought into your pick up/drop off point- you don't want to deal with Sunset itself.



  Friday the action will be starting in the late afternoon (which stretching until like 730 PM at this point in the summer.)  I think the main stage is the only real option here, with Dengue Fever/Man or Astroman at the top of the bill.  Dengue Fever is one of those bands you feel obligated to see at least once, and Man or Astroman is a fun band that puts on a good show and doesn't play too often.  That would be between 8 and 10 PM on the main stage.


 Hannibal Buress takes the main stage at 4:20 PM, you don't want to miss him: very funny.  If you are of the indie pop persuasion you might want to head over to the Lost Knight to see the Summer Twins, who are a pair (sisters?) of women who play indie pop style music- that's a 7 PM start, though I would bet on the stage running late at that place (The Lost Knight.)  Jerome LOL has a set at 11 PM at the Echoplex- that will probably be a crazy scene.  Also, don't miss the Blue Collar Dog space being used as a venue- I think that will be interesting.  I am lukewarm to cold on the Saturday night main stage headliners, J Rocc, Deap Valley and Hanni El Khatib, but that's just a personal take and I'm sure that stage will be well attended.

   Also, Wax Idols plays Origami Vinyl at 5 PM.  What a great way to start out your weekend!

 Sunday, of course, features the soon to be legendary "Burger vs. Lollipop" stage, and I'm going to just print the whole schedule:

12:20pm – 12:50pm  June Holiday
1:10pm – 1:40pm  Aldous RH
2:00pm – 2:30pm  The Mollochs
2:50pm – 3:20  Billy Changer
3:40pm – 4:10pm  Vision
4:30pm – 5:00pm  So Many Wizards
5:20pm – 5:50pm  Adult Books
6:10pm – 6:40pm  Pastilla
7:00pm – 7:30pm   Dante Elephante
7:50pm – 8:20pm  Santoros
8:40pm – 9:10pm Peach Kelli Pop
9:30pm – Close  Corners

   This is taking place at the Echo and I think it is obviously the only place to be Sunday, and also the most blogworthy/interesting event of the Weekend.  I'm not saying I like IT or that any of it is GOOD or that the people there won't SMELL BAD but I might have said the exact same three things about Woodstock or the first Lollapalooza, so what do I know.  It could be the actual dawning of the age of Aquarius.

Also, Frankie Rose is doing an "under play" at Origami Vinyl, that is something I'd like to see but probably won't because it will be such a clusterfuck.


  Walk down to Echo Park Lake and buy something from one of the illegal vendors selling everything from soft drinks, to bacon wrapped hotdogs, to Mexican style corn, to candy.  There is also a quality restaurant at the Boathouse, and they've recently expanded their (all outdoor) seating.  That is the place to go if you are in the neighborhood and looking to "chill out."

  Another good spot to "chill out" would be the Sunset Beer Company- located a block or two towards downtown from the main strip.  They have a TON of rare beers and you can drink them in a little space they have set up next to the main shop. 

  If you want a "real meal" I would recommend Kush, which is walking distance but far enough away that random people don't wind up there till later in the evening- going early you are probably guaranteed to get a table.

   Kudos to all the sponsors:  The Echo, The Echoplex, Bedrock LA, DO LA, Taix, Golden Road Brewery, Lassens and a bunch of other sponsors who I won't list here.  The fact that it is all free is significant and worth remarking upon.

No comments:

Blog Archive