Dedicated to classics and hits.

Monday, August 25, 2014

To The Lighthouse (1928) by Virginia Woolf

To The Lighthouse "Mind Map": Reading a novel shouldn't be this complicated.


Book Review
To The Lighthouse (1928)
 by Virginia Woolf

  My personal feeling is that you shouldn't require a schematic drawing to "get" a novel.  The very need for such a diagram as is pictured above is evidence that the novel has, in a sense, failed.  I am clearly in the tiny minority in this opinion, since To The Lighthouse is a  lock for many "Best 100 Novels of All Time" list.  I understand the argument of the avant-garde that art need not be pleasurable (or even should not be pleasurable) to be good, but I don't really buy it.  

  It is possible to read To The Lighthouse for the first time, as I did, and only have a vague idea what was going on for the entire length of the book.  I'm sure I would have understood more if I had read in the context of an undergraduate or graduate literature class, but I have to integrate my reading into my daily schedule: sitting in court, waiting in jail,  on the train back and forth to Los Angeles, and reading after I've spent 10 hours working as a lawyer.  If I'd really wanted to "get" the brilliance of To The Lighthouse, I would have had to been reading it at a desk, with a lap top or notepad handy, taking notes and cross-referencing internet sources. 

  This will probably be the last Virginia Woolf novel I read on the go- after this I foresee needing to be sitting down in a quiet spot and focusing 100% of my attention on the book.  Is that any way to read a novel?  I would argue, no, it is not.

No comments:

Blog Archive