Dedicated to classics and hits.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Show Review: Spiritualized Performing Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space at The Theatre at the Ace Hotel in DTLA



Show Review:
Spiritualized
Performing Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space at
The Theatre at the Ace Hotel in DTLA
Valentine's Day 2014

  I am for sure a late-comer on the Spiritualized train.  I missed the initial release in 1997- probably because I was in the night clubs and listening to Dischord style hardcore. After I moved down here and fell in with the Art Fag/Crocodiles/Dum Dum Girls crowd I got up to snuff pretty quick, and developed a firm appreciation for the Spiritualized/Spaceman 3/Spectrum catalog, with a particular affinity for Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space, which is an AMAZING record- start to finish.

 So when I read that they would be performing said record, in its entirety, backed by a gospel choir, a string section and horn section, and that the performance would take place at the Grand Opening at the brand new Theatre at the Ace Hotel in DTLA, I was in.  It helped that my boo got us free (and great) tickets through her incredible connections.

 I was highly impressed by the venue, though it is a bit smaller in r.l than I was led to expect by the photographs.  Intimacy isn't a bad thing, and it means something different in the world of retrofitted early 20th century movie palaces then it does for indie/diy venues.  The Theatre was crowded with hipsters and scenesters alike, many of whom seemed positively giddy to be present.

 The show started on time and was as billed, Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space, played in its entirety.  It was an epic experience- perhaps the move fully enjoyed live show I've seen since that Daft Punk show at the LA Coliseum back in 2007.   I highly recommend you check out the Theatre at the Ace Hotel in DTLA at your first available opportunity.  

No comments:

Blog Archive