Dedicated to classics and hits.

Wednesday, February 05, 2014

Belle de jour (1967) d. Luis Buñuel

Catherine Deneuvre as Severine Serizy AKA Belle de jour in the 1967 film.  She is hot in her Yves St Laurent designed outfits for sure.

Movie Review
Belle de jour (1967)
d. Luis Buñuel
Criterion Collection #593

  How did Belle de jour make it until 2012 without a Criterion Collection edition?  Certainly Catherine Deneuvre's most iconic performance, and a top flight Luis Buñuel picture, and, let's face it, a gorgeous film despite the dark beginning, middle and end; you would think that the Criterion Collection spine number for Belle du jour would be in the 100s or 200s, not #593. Presumably it was a rights issue.

  I'm a big fan of Luis Buñuel, although this is the first of his films I've watched as part of this particular Criterion Collection review, I've already watched: The Exterminating Angel, Diary of a Chambermaid, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeois and That Obscure Object of Desire.  While I wouldn't say Belle du jour is Bunuel's best film straight up, Deneuvre's Severine is maybe his best character.  Also, I think it fair to say that Belle de jour is Bunuel's most popular film.

 It's funny, but I recall starting to watch this film during the period when I was married and turning it off because it made me so uncomfortable.  At the time I probably should have taken that discomfort as a sign that there were problems with my marriage.  Now, I breezed through it.  I've packed in so many emotionally good wrenching films and novels that Belle de jour didn't make me blink, EVEN WHEN HER HUSBAND IS SHOT AT THE END BY WHERE GANGSTER JOHN.

No comments:

Blog Archive