Dedicated to classics and hits.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Some Experiences of an Irish RM by Somervile & Ross



Book Review
Some Experiences of an Irish RM
by Somervile & Ross
p. 1899


   Some Experiences of an Irish RM is so unpopular that it doesn't even have it's own Wikipedia page.  Some Experiences was the first in a trilogy of novels about a Resident Magistrate, a Judge appointed by the English to administer justice upon the Irish during their centuries long occupation of that Nation.  The case can be made that Irish literature was the first example of colonial literature, though that position is undercut by the repeated presence of Anglo-Irish writers in 19th century fiction representing the "Irish" point of view.

   At this point, I'm so close to the 20th century, literary modernism and the birth of the movie that is hard to even concentrate on such a retro feeling piece of lit.  I had trouble paying attention, and I wouldn't be able to tell you the names of any of the characters without going back to my Kindle. It's hard for me to imagine a world where Some Experiences of an Irish RM would be on my own personal list of 1001 Books To Read Before You Die, but I was not consulted.

  I have no idea who the Audience is for Some Experiences in 2013.  Not me.
  

No comments:

Blog Archive