Dedicated to classics and hits.

Thursday, June 27, 2013

New York Times Debut of New Dirty Beaches Video "I Dream in Neon"

Dirty Beaches "I Dream in Neon" (NYT Exclusive) from Michael Lawrence on Vimeo.


   Dirty Beaches and Zoo Music did not have a written contract, so Alex was free to depart for a different label for Drifters/Love Is The Devil.  I didn't make any attempt to curtail his negotiations with other labels.  I subscribe to a passive business philosophy: If people don't want to work with you, you don't want to work with them.

  In fact, the only substantive argument that I did advance in favor of Dirty Beaches remaining with Zoo Music was financial. Specifically, that Alex would make with Zoo Music  all the advance money another label would give him, but it would be in the form of royalties and he wouldn't be at the beck and call of some corporation because he took their advance.

 I'm proud to say that I was right, and Alex will be getting check from Zoo Music three months after the record was released, i.e. as close to immediately as exists in the music industry.  If he had signed with another label, he would still be working off whatever advance he was given. It's not "quit your job" level money, but it is "have a real job" level money.

 I'm only writing this post because I read so much negativity about music: major label and DIY alike, and the fact is that you don't read about succesful people complaining as much because they keep their mouths shut, but I want Zoo Music to be an example that serves to inspire others to accomplish the same thing in different ways. DIY is a functional music model for the music industry in 2013.  It can work for you, too.

No comments:

Blog Archive