Dedicated to classics and hits.

Thursday, December 22, 2011

YEAR END LISTS ARE A DRAG

  A phenomenon I've found distressing is over-celebration by indie labels about year end publicity via list.  Here's something to consider: EVERY LABEL GETS YEAR END LIST PUBLICITY.  I'm not saying that I ain't privately and occasionally keeping score, far from it.  However I am not bugging people to do numerous facebook posts, tweets or website blog posts from an "official label" perspective.  

 I will simply observe that the sales boost that you can observe from Artist who receives some of the year-end list attention is quantifiable.   Due to a quirk of supply on Amazon, I've been able to actually watch a specific Record sell 15 physical copies in a little over 24 hours.  That may not sound like a lot, but trust me... at the levels I'm working at- it's a lot.

  HOWEVER I did want to point out the Les Indockuptiblies 2011 year end best albums list because I have a fondness from this French, mostly Music oriented magazine.  My wife would get copies sent to her from France, and I even though I can't read French, I simply admired the Magazine as a music Magazine- with a sophisticated understanding of the indie music world.   I think their top 50 Albums of 2011  is my favorite year-end list thus far this year.

No comments:

Blog Archive